Thursday, January 23, 2014

Picture Frames out of Pallets

I have been thinking about what to put on my stairs forever! Finally I saw some picture frames I loved on pintrest. They looked like reclaimed wood, so I figured I could use an old pallet. Simple, right?


Not as simple as I thought. It's a pain in the rear taking those things apart. My job was much easier when I got ahold of a sawszall. Now I have my nice pretty old wood.


I split some boards when I was trying to take the pallets apart with just a hammer. I used my son's tools to put it back together. It actually worked quite nicely.


I needed the wood to look old and parts of this wood looked new where it was protected. I used apple cider vinegar, black tea and steel wool. It worked great! This picture is after one coat.



Here is an idea of what they will look like. The only problem is once I laid it out, I thought it was going to be too big. I went back to the store for the smaller mats and cut down all the wood for smaller frames.


Now that the frames are done, I taped up where they will go and realized those were too small. Ugh! Back to taking apart another pallet.


Much better.


Yay! Here they are, finally all done!


I love the way they turned out. In the picture it's hard to see the individual pieces of wood, but they look very old.


Now I have 3 smaller frames and don't know what to do with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment