Saturday, January 16, 2016

Cozy Cave

Remember this picture of Dixie? This was her favorite bed. We always wanted a smaller one because it took up so much room and it was a lot to lug around when we were camping. Even though a cozy cave is a perfect Vizsla pet bed, these cozy cave beds are not cheap, I just couldn't justify the cost of another.


I always thought it looked easy enough to make and now that we are getting another puppy, it's the perfect time to make a smaller one. Yep, I said we are getting a puppy. She arrives Tuesday night. One of the hardest parts about getting a pet is loving them so much knowing you are going to loose them one day. But a good friend reminded me that "It is better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all" and in the words of our kids, "We want Dixie back, but a new puppy is the next best thing."

So, I went to JoAnn's and got some fabric and started cutting. Making the bed helped to relax my mind a little and prepare for the new puppy. I couldn't give her everything that was Dixie's just yet.


I love circles, they are so easy to cut and sew! I cut 2 circles and the side for the inside cushion.


I added a zipper so I can change out the batting if it gets old and yucky or I need less or more of it. I just used a robe zipper for this part.


To sew the edges, it was very simple, just sewed right sides together around the circle and since I had a zipper I left it on zipped so I could flip it right side out.


Here is the top cover part. Since I couldn't get Sherpa fabric as thick as the real cozy cave, I added some quilt batting in-between the top layer and the Sherpa.


For the top of the bottom half I used the sherpa again just like the original Cozy Cave.


I got the filling from Amazon because it was about 1/3 the cost. This is the one I bought. If you click on the link, you will see it is a 10 lb box. I didn't realize how much 10 lbs of PolyFill was. When I opened it, it popped out the top and after I filled the bed, I still had to stuff it back into the box. I barley made a dent. I guess I should get to making another Cozy Cave for a friends little dog.


The kids wanted to make sure they fit in the little one also.


Now they can snuggle with their new puppy.


Hopefully, next week I can share a picture of our new puppy inside the bed.

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment